Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Juneau

On day 5 of our cruise we stopped in Juneau for the day.  On plans for the day was a whale watching excursion with a trip to see the Mendell Glacier outside it looked to be a nice day so we hoped for the best to see some more Humpback whales up close and the day did not disappoint. 
As we were looking out our deck we got to watch some eagles flying around


 Here are some pictures from our excursion:



There was a few things I learned about whales on this trip that I did not know:
1.  When a whale sleeps it shuts down half of its brain and shuts one eye meanwhile keeping one open.  You can see them swimming but they aren't really doing a whole lot.
2.  When you see it's tail come out of the water that is when it is diving down deep and you probably won't see it for a while.
3.  If you are down wind from the blow hole when a whale sprays it smells really bad like rotten fish, luckily I wasn't that close to it.

1 comment:

Rosalee said...

That is so cool that you saw whales. I never knew those facts about whales.